JOB MARKET AND PAY :-(

Fri Feb 27 11:26:16 EST 1998

At 11:47 PM 2/26/98 +0000, Fred & Rachel Brusseau wrote:
>I don't know if anyone read the post regarding a "Senior Lab Tech"
>posted within the last day or two? Was $24,000 a year a misprint!?? Is
>that what people with masters degrees in biology get??!! I was making $
>25,000 a year as a secretary before I quit my job, and started the
>4-year struggle to obtain my Bachelors in Biology. This May when I
>graduate what can I make? 15,000 a year??? I went to school so I can
>have a job I enjoy, but I expected equal if not better pay. Will someone
>please enlighten me. What is standard starting pay? (And how will it
>change over time?)
>
>Thanks
>
>Rachel

You may, then, be shocked to learn that a person in a scientific discipline
(except those in "COMPUTER" related fields) can, most often, expect to earn
around $15k to $20K gross salary per year (mostly w/o any other fringe
benefits) soon after obtaining a "Doctor of Philosophy" degree from a
University. That is sure to change one's "philosopy" towards higher
"education", don't you think? :(

Dr. Hiranya Sankar Roychowdhury
Plant Genetic Engineering Lab.
New Mexico State University