Biolog

Veljo Kisand kisand at ut.ee
Fri Jan 2 13:07:55 EST 1998

> > Does anyone know anything about Biolog, the company or its' products?

> what the company claims. The data base contains many clinically
> important strains. However, often when dealing with environmental
> isolates for which the database was not constructed it will come up with
> poor or no matches.  To be expected, but you do get some information on
> carbon utilization patterns.

We have used these Biolog GN plates on lake water populations (mixed,
not isolated strains) to study relative changes throughout season. But
even for that the selection of substrates seems too clinical :( There is
quite a few literature on use of Biolog microplates on environmental
bacteria

> You can usually give it a try without buying the plate reader. I have
> found that the people at the company are generally very helpful

Usual ELISA reader should help...

Veljo Kisand