Biolog

Anthony Palumbo avp at ornl.gov
Fri Jan 2 23:56:50 EST 1998

David Herndon wrote:

> Does anyone know anything about Biolog, the company or its' products?

We have used the Biolog products for several years. They generally do
what the company claims. The data base contains many clinically
important strains. However, often when dealing with environmental
isolates for which the database was not constructed it will come up with
poor or no matches.  To be expected, but you do get some information on
carbon utilization patterns.

You can usually give it a try without buying the plate reader. I have
found that the people at the company are generally very helpful

We have also found several uses for the Biolog MT plates for screening
for utilization of specific carbon sources. For example:

Strong-Gunderson, J. M., and A. V. Palumbo. 1994. A novel method for
rapidly determining microbial utilization of volatile contaminants. J.
Ind. Microbiol. 13:361-366.

Anthony V. Palumbo
Environmental Sciences Division
Oak Ridge National Laboratory