Microbial communication?

R.D. Haigh rxh at leicester.ac.uk
Tue Jan 6 14:25:06 EST 1998

Hi

I haven't got my references handy but try your searches again using

Try homoserine lactones for gram negatives. Useful names are Paul Williams
(Nottingham) Peter Greenberg (Iowa) George Salmond (Oxford ?)

Gram positives ferequently use peptides in signalling and these are often
referred to as pheromones. I can't think of anyone's name offhand.

There was a very nice paper in Nature (I think ) before Christmas on
Sacchromyces signalling between colonies I can't remember what the
chemical was they used.
And obviously there are the mating factors in Sacchromyces

I can't remember any nice big chunky reveiws anywhere recently but
there is certainly plenty of information out there.

Have fun

Richard

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    Richard Haigh
    Department of Microbiology and Immunology,
    University of Leicester,
    University Road,
    Leicester. LE1 9HN UK

    Phone: 0116 2523017
    FAX   : 0116 2525030
    Email : rxh at nospam.le.ac.uk
    NB. remove nospam to Email
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx