Probes for nitrate-reducers

Anthony ant01 at globalnet.co.uk
Thu Jan 15 08:31:22 EST 1998

Hi,

I am a PhD student studying hydrogen-utilising bacteria in the human
colon.  I have isolated disimilatory nitrate-reducing species from faeces
using batch and chemostat culture.  I have found a predominance of
E.coli, but I am not sure if this is just down to my culture conditions
(I have used gentamycin and naladixic acid to inhibit E.coli).  I need a
cross-reference technique to determine whether E.coli is the predominant
nitrate reducer.  For this Fluorescent in situ hybridisation (FISH) would
be ideal, but I am not sure how to probe for total  nitrate reducers.
Does anyone have any ideas?  I thought about Nitrate reductase or Nitrite
reductase, but I don't know how conserved these genes are in NRB's.

Please e-mail me at: nick.parham at BBSRC.ac.uk

Thanks in advance,    Nick.