Spirit of '76

Graham Shepherd muhero at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Jan 18 17:24:09 EST 1998

This comment was about the identification in 1943 of Legionella, not HIV.
The identification of the organism was done on material stored following a
fatal and undiagnosed respoiratory infection in a US Navy diver in 1943. The
earliest identification of HIV in samples that I know of is from a case of
clinical illness in 1966 of a Norwegian merchant seaman who had visited West
Africa in the early 60s and who was known to be sexually active. (ie he
contracted GC infection there.) His wife and child became ill the following
year and I think all died.

GS