bacteria used in laundry detergent -Reply

Christopher CHAN, CMD YMCHAN at HKPC.ORG
Mon Jan 19 22:22:30 EST 1998

In article <6a0hru$t3e$1 at mark.ucdavis.edu>,
ez074520 at dilbert.ucdavis.edu
(Tomoyuki Tanaka) wrote:

> i just read some scientific journalism (by tachibana takashi) on
> the technology/science behind this laundry detergent "Attack".
>
> 1. i got the impression that the main innovation behind "Attack"
>         was the bacteria used in it.  is this not true?
>
> 2. do non-Japanese laundry detergents use similar
>         micro-biological technology?
Subtilisin is the proteolytic enzyme derived from the common bacteria
"Bacillus subtilis".  It has been used in many enzyme-based detergents in
Australia for a number of years.  Advantages- attack protein-based
stains
such as food & blood; disadvantages - will be destroyed by very hot
water.
Vicki

* Correst me if I am wrong,  you have to inactivate subtilisin somehow in a
house hold washing machine, changing temperature is probably the
easiest way. Anyway, very interesting topic, would love to hear more
discussion in industrial microbiology.