DEFT method-applying lab instruments

Alexandra Steven m.steven at uws.edu.au
Wed Jan 21 02:52:36 EST 1998

In article <34C595B4.1115 at chollian.dacom.co.kr>,
kdshik72 at chollian.dacom.co.kr wrote:

> Is there anyone who knows or has experience lab instruments using this
> DEFT method?
> I would like to know:
> 1. What kind of instrumens
You need an epi-flurorescence microscope - that is one where the light
shines down from above not up through the slide as you have a filter on
the slide. plus of course the filters - which are expensive and a filter
holder eg swinex and acridine orange which is toxic.
> 2. Specific applications
Anywhere a rapid accurate count is needed that differentiates living and
dead cells eg boutique brewery
> 3. Experience
I demonstrate the technique to my students and it is easy to distinguish
yeasts & bacteria using a mixed culture but I haven't had to do it in the
field.
Vicki