95 or NT on a lab computer

Guy Hermans ghermans at luc.ac.be
Thu Jan 22 01:57:23 EST 1998

In article <6a618n$m00$1 at newshound.csrv.uidaho.edu>, "Don Walthers"
<walt9693 at uidaho.edu> wrote:

> We're about to purchase a new computer for the lab and just wanted some
> opinions on using Windows95 vs WindowsNT. It will mainly be a general
> purpose computer running Office, Statistica, Photoshop and some sort of
> DNA/protein analysis software. The computer may also act as a server for
> sequence data but won't be heavily accessed. The only computer literate
> person in the lab is very familiar with 95 but never used NT. We also
> haven't looked at the DNA/protein software yet so don't know if some of the
> better packages are specific for NT. Are we better off just getting 95 and
> worrying about NT as a future upgrade. The system will be around a 200MHz
> Pentium or Pentium II with 64 MB ram. Thanks for your opinoins.

Looks to me the last machine will work just fine using NT. I prefer that
one to '95, since that one crashes on me all the time... 95 definately
does NOT like our Novell 4,01 network, so we've had to reconfigure the
Novell server. Still doesn't work properly, by the way.

Even if you're not working in a heterogeneous network like ours, it's well
worth going for NT from the start. The only bad part about that is your
old 16-bit programs might not work any more.

Cheers,

Guy

Guy Hermans, PhD student
MS research Unit             Tel 0032 (0) 11/26.92.07
Dr. L. Willems-Institute     Fax 0032 (0) 11/26.92.09
University Campus            E-mail ghermans at luc.ac.be
B-3590 Diepenbeek
Belgium