Differences between prokaryotes, eukaryotes and viruses

Yersinia yersinia at CYBERNEX.NET
Sat Jan 24 13:12:38 EST 1998

Johan asks,

<Could anyone tell me the differences between prokaryotic cells,
eukaryotic
cells and viruses?>

Very basically (I'm not sure if you're just curious, or if I'm doing your
homework, which I don't want to do really):

1. Prokaryotes: Cells which do not contain a nucleus or organelles (other
than ribosomes). Bacteria (unicellular life forms) constitute prokaryotes.

2. Eukaryotes: Cells which do contain a nucleus and organelles. They may
be unicellular life forms (such as protozoa or plankton) or individual
cells of multicellular organisms such as plants, animals or human beings.

3. Viruses: Submicroscopic, noncellular entities which consist only of
genetic material (can be DNA or RNA) and a protein coat (capsid), with or
without a lipoprotein envelope around the capsid.

Infectionately,
Yersinia.

"What you call genocide, I call a day's work!"