Antibiotic References

Gary Lum glum at
Mon Jan 26 00:06:30 EST 1998

Tim Ells wrote:

> I was wondering if there was such a thing as an antibiotic reference
> manual or text that describes the specific modes of action of various
> antibiotics as well as resistance mechanisms of bacteria. I know of some
> general medical microbiology texts that give basic descriptions such as:
> broad spectrum; inhibits cell wall synthesis, etc., however I'm looking for
> more detailed info than that. I want to know how it interrupts cell wall
> synthesis or protein synthesis or nucleic acid synthesis etc. Essentially
> the biochemistry and physiology involved.  Thanks in advance.

Despite being a general microbiology text, the Manual of Clinical
Microbiology from the American Society for Microbiology gives a good
description of antimicrobials, their modes of action and also mechanisms
of resistance.  For further details I suggest medline and looking for
reviews on antimicrobial resistance.  There have been a few over the
last few years that have given excellent summaries.

Dr Gary Lum
Director of Microbiology and Pathology
Royal Darwin Hospital

Microbiologists do it with culture and sensitivity
Meet me at
Come and visit
E-mail me at mailto:glum at