95 or NT on a lab computer

Jonathan B. Marder marder at agri.huji.ac.il
Tue Jan 27 03:47:11 EST 1998

Don Walthers wrote in message =
+ADw-6a618n+ACQ-m00+ACQ-1+AEA-newshound.csrv.uidaho.edu+AD4-...
+AD4-We're about to purchase a new computer for the lab and just wanted =
some
+AD4-opinions on using Windows95 vs WindowsNT. It will mainly be a =
general
+AD4-purpose computer running Office, Statistica, Photoshop and some =
sort of
+AD4-DNA/protein analysis software. The computer may also act as a =
server for
+AD4-sequence data but won't be heavily accessed. ...

My own experience is with a group of lab. computers which started =
running on Windows 3.11, now mostly upgraded to Windows 95. This =
certainly serves our own needs (similar to yours), and setting up some =
basic http+-ftp server is simple. This gives me access from home, and =
even once allowed me to download a lost poster from when I was away at a =
conference.
If I needed to have careful access control, I would consider NT, but for =
our purposes the security available in Win95 is adequate.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan B. Marder   +ADw-MARDER+AEA-agri.huji.ac.il+AD4-
Department of Agricultural Botany, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
Faculty of Agriculture, P.O.Box 12, Rehovot 76100, ISRAEL
Phone: +-972 8 9481918   Fax:   +-972 8 9467763  =20
Web page:    http://www.agri.huji.ac.il/+AH4-marder