r.p.m. or gravity?

Daniel.Marc marc at tours.inra.fr
Thu Jan 29 06:09:08 EST 1998

peter Herman (rpeter at nmsu.edu) wrote:
: Arturo Sanchez wrote:
: >
: > Can someone answer me the next question? How should I report the
: > centrifugation speed r.p.m or gravity? Which one is correct? I have
: > a discussion with a friend about this. I am reporting my methodology in
: > r.p.m. but he says I should do it in g. I understand that r.p.m. are a
: > unit of angular velocity equal to the uniform angular velocity of a body
: > which rotates through an angle of 360° (2pi radians), so that every point
: > in the body returns to its original point, in 1 minute. For me the key is
: > in the "...uniform angular velocity". Am I right?

R.C.F= 11,2 X (krpm)2 X r
where R.C.F= relative centrifugal force (in g units)
krpm= angular velocity expressed in thousands of rpm
(and (krpm)2= krpm X krpm)
r= radius (centimeters) measured from the axis of the rotor
to the bottom of the tube.