PhD position at the ETh Zurich, Switzerland

Ursel Kues kues at micro.biol.ethz.ch
Tue Jun 16 02:29:13 EST 1998

Zürich, 16.6.1998

PhD position available on the subject:

Functional analysis of galectin genes and the role of galectins
in hyphal aggregation and fruitbody development of the basidiomycete
Coprinus cinereus
Coprinus cinereus is a model organism to study developmental processes
in the basidiomycetous fungi. Studies in our group focusses on fruitbody
development and asexual sporulation. Fruitbody development starts with
differentiation of multihyphal structures that upon distinctive
environmental and genetic signals develop into mature fruitbodies. Two
galectins, carbohydrate binding proteins with a specific affinity
towards b-1,4 linked galactose residues, were identified in fruitbodies
of C. cinereus. Like the formation of the multihyphal structures,
expression of the two galectins is controlled by A mating type proteins,
by light and by nutritional limitations and increases with maturation of
the fruitbody. Galectins are secreted proteins localized to the cell
walls and we postulate that they participitate in cell-cell interactions
during hyphal aggregation. The highly regulated expression of galectins
in fruitbody formation makes it possible to identify important cis- and
trans-acting elements in regulation of fruitbody development with a
suitable reporter system. The functional analysis of the galectin
proteins will establish the biological role of galectins in
multicellular aggregation. Isolation of the respective galectin ligands
will bring about insight in cell wall glycoproteins mediating hyphal
interaction, a key event in fruitbody formation.
The proposed project is designed for two PhD students that will work in
close cooperation with each other and with a Post-Doc, an expert for
fungal galectins. Most of importance is therefore the willingness of the
applicant for group interaction. Experiences in biochemistry, molecular
and/or cell biology are of advantage. A successful PhD candidate must
have a masters degree (diploma). Starting date of the PhD is flexible.
We are a multilingual group giving the opportunity to communicate in
various languages. We offer the possibility to experience classical and
molecular genetics, biochemistry, cytology, light and EM microscopy etc.
Our department is well equipped for all molecular, biochemical and
mycological research as for the newest developments in computing. The
ETH has excellent libraries. It is embedded in a stimulating scientific
environment including the university of Zürich and various other
research institutes.
Please contact for further information and send your application with
curriculum vitae to:
	Prof. Markus Aebi 		(Tel: ++41-1-6326413; e-mail:
aebi at micro.biol.ethz.ch)
or 	Dr. Ursula Kües		(Tel: ++41-1-6324925; e-mail:
kuees at micro.biol.ethz.ch)
	ETH Zürich
	Institut für Mikrobiologie 	(Fax: ++41-1-6321148)
	Schmelzberstr. 7
	CH-8037 Zürich
	Switzerland