Red Pigments

William J. Mason wmason at COMP.UARK.EDU
Wed Jun 17 09:38:50 EST 1998

Everyone,

I recently performed a Handwashing experiment (time = 0, 10s, 30s, 1 min,
2 min, 5 min) with a group of High School teachers.  The results of one
sample were particularly interesting:

The plate at time = 10 secs, 30 secs, 1 min, and 5 mins showed significant
growth of a red pigmented bacteria whose colony morphology appears to be
red pigmented centers with a clear mucoid layer surrounding them (all
plates are Nutrient agar).

1. The gram stain in combination with the 3% KOH test indicates a gram +
rod.

2. I have not swabbed or tried to culture the soap that was used, yet...

Therefore, has anyone seen this result before.  This is the first time in
the many times I have performed this experiment that I have seen this
result.

Thank you for your time and any input you have would be appreciated,

Jeff Mason
University of Arkansas, Biological Sciences/Microbiology
wmason at comp.uark.edu
http://comp.uark.edu/~wmason