How do I identify biofilm bacteria?

Paul Taylor taylorpm at ARIEL.UCS.UNIMELB.EDU.AU
Tue Jun 23 21:52:26 EST 1998

>Another approach would be sequence scanning rather than full-blown
>sequencing. If primers are available, you can simply PCR the 16s rRNA by
>RT-PCR, then use nested PCR to get a good amp. There are kits available
>that allow you to do the equivalent of T or G-ladder sequencing, much
>more rapidly than dideoxy sequencing. Better for lots of samples, too.
>
>Fred

HI,

If I have understood this properly, then you only get a part of the
sequence. For identifying bacteria by 16S rDNA sequencing, a full blown
sequence is required (or a least part of a full blown sequnce). G or T
ladders don't really help with identification, except perhaps for
distinguishing between different strains of the same species.

Paul

Wow!, or as they say in Poland, "Vov!"
			Stephen Fry, The Liar

Paul Taylor
Department of Microbiology and Immunology
University of Melbourne
Parkville   Victoria    3052
AUSTRALIA
Ph  : +61 3 9344 5698  (x 45698)