differential media

Graham Shepherd muhero at globalnet.co.uk
Sun Mar 8 17:48:55 EST 1998

(1)    A basic part of any science is the use of controls - in your case,
using known coliforms, beta-haemolytic strep and staph to verify the correct
functioning of your test. This will show you exactly what the results should
be. The purple clumps sound like lactose positive organisms.

(2)    Many other organisms will produce positive mannitol tests - try a
catalase test as well.

GS