Exotic lifeforms turn up in ancient Antarctic ice

Dave Dooling deesqrd at advicom.net
Fri Mar 13 08:25:48 EST 1998

Two scientists exploring a microworld locked in ancient ice have found a
wide range of lifeforms from fungi, algae, and bacteria to a few diatoms
- and a few items with strange shapes resembly Mickey Mouse and a
Klingon's forehead.

"We've found some really bizarre things - things that we've never seen
before," said Richard Hoover of NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center.
Hoover and Dr. S.S. Abyzov ofthe Russian Academy of Sciences have been
examining deep ice core samples from theVostok Station about 1,000 km
(620 miles) from the South Pole.

The full story at
http://science.msfc.nasa.gov/newhome/headlines/ast12mar98_1.htm
--
:)
D2

Dave Dooling / D2 Associates
555 Sparkman Drive, Suite 820C / Huntsville, AL 35816
205-890-0972
deesqrd at advicom.net        http://advicom.net/~deesqrd/d2.html