looking for a Scientific analogy

Umnarj Paeratakul umnarj at mozart.inet.co.th
Wed Mar 18 03:48:35 EST 1998

riverain at hotmail.com wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I need your help... I am looking for an analogy...
>
> I am producing a Film documentary on a person who was forced to change
> "nationality".  She was a victim of racism and she had to move to a better
> welcoming country.
>
> Is there such phenomen in things ?  How would you "illustrate" what she've
> been throught in "scientific terms" ?  In physics, Chemistry or something else
> ?
>
> I want to create a metaphorical message through Science.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions ?

Dear folks,

Well, I don't know this will help you or not, but here goes....

1. "Chemotaxis" Germs such as bacteria will swim away from
    bad chemicals - to good chemicals.  Or swimming toward foods.

2. "Mutation"  or change in the genetic makeup of the bacteria.
    For example some bacteria can be attacked (and killed) by a type of
    virus called "phage".  Smart (or lucky)  bacteria can mutate such
    that the phage could not get a hold of the bacteria, therefore
    survive the attack.  This change is in the surface of the bacteria,
    thus make it "looks" a bit different.

Just my two cents...

umnarj at mozart.inet.co.th