CO2 as disinfectant,

Jim Eilers jreilers at interaccess.com
Fri Mar 27 20:26:30 EST 1998

At the risk of looking like a dimwit (I haven't been following this
thread);

I wonder if the heading should be "ClO2 as a disinfectant"

The extra l makes all the difference. I know of food sanitation
applications for chlorine dioxide.  Never heard of any for carbon
dioxide or its solutions.

Jim

On Fri, 27 Mar 1998 11:12:19 +0100, Lesley Robertson
<l.a.robertson at stm.tudelft.nl.removethis> wrote:

>Francois wrote:
>
>> Extensive answer, thanks.
>> Carbonic acid, is a weak acid, and in carbonated softdrinks  there are still
>> preservatives, so it makes sense that CO2 would not have that great an
>> effect.
>>
>> But what about the purging with CO2 creates so that an anaerobic environment
>> is created, which is unfavourable for aerobic microbes in water (like
>> coliforms, streptococcus etc.)
>>

>Many of the nasties are not obligate aerobes. They can ferment, or use other
>oxides (eg nitrate, sulphate). Some bugs regard CO2 as an essential nutrient
>(although they're not generally dangerous).
>Lesley Robertson

Jim Eilers
jreilers at interaccess.com
http://homepage.interaccess.com/~jreilers