Someone, please help me stand up for Darwin

Eric R. Hugo e_hugo at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu
Mon Mar 30 06:53:37 EST 1998

In article <351F2002.F10EC9B0 at nordi.no>, Ingvald Straume <ingvald at nordi.no> wrote:

>2) "Evolution contradicts the second law of thermodynamics."

It does not contradict the second law if one allows for the continuous
input of energy (i.e.. solar energy).

>3) "It is very unlikely (impossible) that complex stereo-isomeric
>molecules in nature arise from non-organic material by accident."

I believe that this has already been demonstrated in the laboratory.  As early
as the 1950s Stanley Miller was able to make amino acids and the like from
methane, ammonia, water, and energy even if the Earth's primitive atmosphere
was not as reducing as originally thought the experiment demonstrated the
spontaneous synthesis of biomolecular building blocks from simple gases.

>Ingvald Straume
>(modestly desperate secondary school teacher)

I hope that this gives you a little more ammunition.  Don't get your hopes up
too high however.  I have found that arguing with antievolutionist to be as
rewarding as beating one's head against a brick wall--except, unlike beating
one's head against a wall, you generally do not fell better when you stop
arguing with a antievolutionist.  Good luck.
                                                Eric

e_hugo at dsu1.dsu.nodak.edu\ | | \\  // | | //  \\ | | \\
Asst. Professor, Biology  \\ | :,\\': | //      \\ | :,\\
Dickinson State University|PGP 2.6 public key
Dickinson, ND  58601      |available from most key servers
http://www.dsu.nodak.edu/~hugo/