Biowarfare

fybog fybog at NOSPAMhotmail.com
Sun Nov 1 15:24:07 EST 1998

>Most viruses can not be airborne outside their natural host (or any host),
>as they are broken down by UV light.  Thus, for a virus to become airborne,
>it must develop the characteristic protien coat of an airborne virus.

Yes some viruses are very susceptible to UV light, but for a short
period they will be 'airborne', before being destroyed. The length of
that period being dependant on the virus.

>Just because clinical signs are not shown, it does not mean that an
>infection has not taken place.  The presence of antibodies, unless induced
>as a vaccine (artificial immunity), are a form of aquired immunity, hence a
>sign of infection.

I disagree. Why is it that only antibodies induced by a vaccine can be
formed with no infection? Viruses can enter the body, be completely
unable to infect a host cell, yet still have antibodies raised to
them, just like any other foreign body. I don't understand why having
a vaccine injected in your arm has a completely different immune
response pathway to being infected the 'natural' way.

>>You also can't say that it is only a matter of time before airborne
>>strains of Ebola occur. You do not know that for a fact. They could
>>have been airborne way back down the evolutionary ladder and it wasn't
>>a good strategy so the virus evolved other modes of transmission.

>The CDC decided that the Ebola Reston strain was later in the evolutionary
>chain than the Ziare or Sudan strains.  The strains are mutated by less than
>1.6% from eachother.  According to the CDC, this "may indicate that the
>genomes of Ebola viruses (and filoviruses in general) are unusually stable
>and have evolved to occupy special niches in the wild."

Which does not guarantee that Ebola will, with 100% certainty become
infectious via the airborne route, nor that it has used the strategy
in the past and since changed track.

>The microorganisms you refer to next are bacteria.  Bacteria can survive for
>long periods of time outside a host.  It is perfectly possible to engineer
>them as such, and evolution has already played that role.  Some bacteria can
>stand complete dessication.

Yes, I am well aware that they are bacteria, hence why I talk about
them being tested against an antibiotic, it wouldn't really do much if
it was a virus would it?. I used them as an example to explain a
point. At no time did I ever refer to them as viruses. And I also know
full well that they can survive out of a host and that most bacteria
are far more hardy than the average virus.