clostridium and birds

Sebastian Bunka Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at
Thu Nov 5 04:47:32 EST 1998

Martin Weiss <mweiss at NYHALLSCI.ORG> wrote:
> Does anyone have any information about transportation of clostridium by
> water birds? I've been told that ducks can transport these spores and or
> bacteria. I'd appreciate any sources and or references. I've done a
> Medlines search for clostridium and birds with no responses.

> Cheers,

> Martin Weiss, Ph.D.
> Director of Biology
> New York Hall of Science
Hi Martin,
I did a quick search in VETCD and on your keywords I've got 545
entries.

I had only a quick look on the articles and found something like:

TI:  Wild  birds  and  rodents as carriers of pathogenic bacteria
(particularly Salmonella species and Clostridium perfringens).
AU: Volkova-AA; Dzhamgyrchieva-TD; Shamiev-FM; AA-Volkova
SO:    Infektsionnye-bolezni-zhivotnykh-i-voprosy-prirodnoi-ocha-
givosti-Infectious-diseases-of-animals-and-their-natural-nidali-
ty. 1982, 47-54; Russian summary p. 137; 4 ref.

TI: Bibliography of references to avian botulism: update.
AU: Wilson-SS; Locke-LN
SO: 1982, 11pp.; Special Scientific Report-Wildlife No. 243.

TI: Botulism research in the Netherlands during 1978.
AU: Haagsma-J; Laak-EA-ter; Ter-Laak-EA
SO:  Stichting-voor-Diergeneeskundig-Onderzoek.-Jaarverslag-1978.
1981, 54-56.

and much more...

Since this file cannot be sent to newsgroups (> 700 KB) AND
I'm out to Germany for a week, I've put it in the /pub directory of
our anonymous ftp-server. The details I have mailed to you.

--
Sebastian Bunka, Dr. med. vet
Inst. Med. Chemistry, Vet. University Vienna
e-mail: Sebastian.Bunka at vu-wien.ac.at