Biowarfare (ebola + smallpox)

Eric Beard ericzbeard at email.msn.com
Mon Nov 9 09:09:46 EST 1998

Concerning the use of ebola as a bio-weapon, the Soviets/Russians were
rumored to have found a place in the smallpox genome to hide ebola,
combining the two to form what is refferred to as "ebolapox" or "blackpox",
with the contagiousness of smallpox and the mortality rate of ebola.

This information was published in an article called "The Bioweaponeers" and
its source was Dr. Ken Alibek (formerly Kenatyan Alibekov, a leading Soviet
bioweapons engineer).  However, the claim has been downplayed by researchers
at USAMRIID, who say it may be possible but is highly improbable.

Can anyone provide some solid information on the possibility of actually
combining the two viruses?

Eric Z. Beard