Easy test(?) for living organisms

Nicholas Landau nlandau at eden.rutgers.edu
Tue Nov 10 17:09:04 EST 1998

I think that 14C can be handled safely and easily.  It
emits low energy beta particles, which will not threaten
the workings of the probe, as they can penetrate only a
few centimeters of air, and virtually are unable to
penetrate metal or plastic.  Low activities can be used
(less than a microcurie) with a high level of sensitivity

There are many other ways to measure the same thing: the
mineralization of organic compounds.  Check out the
literature on microbial ecology.  We do that kind of
thing all of the time.