molecular detection of bacteria

Rod Savidge savidge at unb.ca
Thu Nov 12 12:56:34 EST 1998

I am wondering if it is possible to screen eukaryotic systems (such as
trees) for bacteria -- both qualitatively to diagnose the presence and
quantitatively to estimate the number present -- using one or more
molecular or enzymatic indicators that is highly diagnostic of bacteria?
I'm familiar with microscopy and plating approaches but would like to
sidestep those with a direct biochemically based procedure.  Any advice
would be welcome.

Rod
   Rod Savidge, PhD, Professor       |         E-mail: savidge at unb.ca
   Faculty of Forestry and          \|/
   Environmental Management       \  |  /     Phone:  (506) 453-4919
   University of New Brunswick    _\/|\/_
   Fredericton, NB CANADA           \|/        Fax:    (506) 453-3538
   E3B 6C2                           |