help

J.T. Pronk j.t.pronk at kabelfoon.nl
Sat Nov 14 15:11:59 EST 1998

Hello Rob,
Inulin is a polysaccharide consisting of a linear chain of beta(2-1)linked
fructose molecules (i.e. inulin is a fructan). Inulin occurs as a storage
carbohydrate in several plants, including chicory and Jerusalem artichoke.
Depending on plant source, the number of fructose residues per inulin
molecule may vary between 5 and 45. At the reducing end the chain is
terminated by a beta(2-1)-linked glucose molecule (info from PhD thesis of
Robert Rouwenhorst, Delft, 1990). There is currently a lot of interest in
inulin as a 'prebiotic' food ingredient. To get an impression of what sort
of research activities are going on around inulin, see the abstracts listed
at http://www.usu.edu/~forage/frucabs.htm
Cheers,
jack pronk, delft

Rob Lees heeft geschreven in bericht