help

Ralf ralf.hartemink at micro.fdsci.wau.nl
Mon Nov 16 16:03:43 EST 1998

Inulin is indeed promoted as a health promoting ingredient. It is
fermented in the large intestine by a large number of bacteria, from a
large number of genera (Bacteroides, Lactobacillus, enterobacteria,
several cocci, bifdidobacteria, clostridia).
Fermentation results in the formation of short-chain fatty acids and
gases. One of the acids, butyrate is considered beneficial for
intestinal health. Inulin produces relatively large amounts of
butyrate, but not as much as some other fibres.

Ralf Hartemink
Wageningen Agricultural University