Biowarfare

SParker eparker at aros.net
Thu Nov 19 01:34:41 EST 1998

I think there is a basic RNA-DNA thing in the way of "combining" them.
Blackpox sounds scarry though doesn't it?

I believe there was a hemoragic form of smallpox that was observed in some
clusters of cases.  I would be very interested in finding out about the
hemoragic smallpox.  I believe stories of that form exist in the medical
literature (rather than the New Yorker where I believe Preston published his
Bioweaponeers article).

It is amazing how accurate much of Preston's article was.  There was another
popular-press article about soviet smallpox earlier this year in "The
Sciences".

I have no information about Blackpox.  I would assume that it is a very
unlikely combination.  I believe Preston pointed out that Alibek was not a
virologist.

Eric Beard wrote in message <#HRErG0E#GA.161 at upnetnews05>...
>In an article by Richard Preston called "The Bioweaponeers", the
possibility
>of incorporating ebola into the genome of smallpox was mentioned.  A
Russian