Biowarfare

Eric Beard ericzbeard at email.msn.com
Wed Nov 18 17:19:29 EST 1998

In an article by Richard Preston called "The Bioweaponeers", the possibility
of incorporating ebola into the genome of smallpox was mentioned.  A Russian
defector by the name of Kanatjan Alibekov (now Ken Alibek) claims this was
accomplished in the Soviet Union with an eye toward developing a weapon with
the contaigiousness of smallpox and the lethality of ebola--"Blackpox".

I would be interested to hear the opinion of an expert in the field of
microbiology/genetics, which I am not.  A researcher at USAMRIID has stated
that the combination, while possible in theory, is implausible.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Eric Z Beard