Chagas's disease

SParker eparker at aros.net
Sat Nov 21 03:40:05 EST 1998

"B.A. SCHMITZ" wrote in message <364C2DEF.70 at leeds.ac.uk>...
-clip-
>the infections into human dwellings. The limited geographical range of
>the infection is probably more closely related to the insect
>vector and poor housing than the presence of a particular intermediate
>host.
-clip-

I think one of the insect hosts is the blod-sucking conenose bug (true bug).
This insect is also found in the southwest USA (I have caught more than
one).  I have often wondered why chaga's is not found in the southwest USA.
I have heard rumors that there is another trypanosome that infects the bugs
in the southwest USA and competition prevents the spread of chaga's.   This
is speculation and rumor.  I would appretiate any information anyone might
have on this.