Antibiotics in mammals?

Stefanie Greve S.Greve at tu-bs.de
Tue Nov 24 18:56:21 EST 1998

Hi all!
In our lab arose the following question:

Do mammals produce antibiotics on their own?

It was postulated that cows might have a mechanism which could inject
"selfmade" antibiotics into MOs. This might be in coherence with wounds
in the tongue due to feeding on gramineaceae and similar "cutting"
plants.

I hope everybody understands what I am intending to say. To me the
thingie seems to be quite improbable.

Are antibiotics to be made by MOs or by chemical means in order to be
called antibiotics? Is any microbicid or microbistatic molecule called
an antibiotic regardless of origin?

I have already looked it up in
Singleton/Sainsbury, Dictionary of Microbiology and Molecular Biology,
2. Ed., Wiley
but am still quite clueless in regard of these questions.

Many thanks in advance

Stefanie