Spongiform diseases - is the causative agent a spiroplasma?

SParker eparker at aros.net
Mon Nov 23 22:13:00 EST 1998

Members of the group Spiroplasmataceae.  They are cell-wall-less organisms
currently clasified in the Mycoplasmatales.  I think there is only one genus
currently.  In the Mycoplasmatales are several difficullt to isolate
parisites that may exist in many situations.  I would not be supprised to
find members of this group blamed as the causative agent for some disease of
uncertain causation.  I do not know enough about spongifom diseases to
suggest these creatures as a causative agent.