Help!] Amidase <-> Serine Proteinase

Hyunmin Kim vurk at
Wed Nov 25 02:48:58 EST 1998

((((I have no idea about biochemistry..Please help me...))))

I have sequenced a gene(called magA).

1. I found that the gene(magA) encodes a protein which has an amidase or
endopeptidase actiivty.

2. Homology searching in GenBank shown me that the gene(magA) has best
identity(70-80%) with
    lots of serine proteinases.

             Based on above two results, What Can I Predict the Gene was
coding for?

Can I tell   the gene(magA) is 1..amidase ??
                                                2.. proteinase??
                                                3..or something new(that
has both amidase and proteinase activity)??

Hyunmin Kim
Laboratory of Microbiology
Department of Biology
College of Natural Science