Aspergillus

p. kammeyer pkamm at THERAMP.NET
Mon Nov 30 20:04:09 EST 1998

My opinion is the microscopic is most important, but after looking at
the microscopic and making sure both the microscopic and colony colors
and characteristics are typical of A. fumigatus, we then set a 45C
slant(along with a growth control at 30C).  I might note, there are a
few mimics in the wings which can be similar e.g. Neosartorya
pseudofischeri.  It has a sexual state, however.  See Klich and Pitt's
Aspergillus manual for more detailed workup.  We use their methods for
speciation of other Aspergillus sp.  I hope this helps