Careers in Microbiology\

dahd dahd at xxnodspam.com
Tue Oct 6 14:04:07 EST 1998

In article <Pine.SOL.3.96.980927222408.27958A-100000 at post.its.mcw.edu>,
laceyd at post.its.mcw.edu says...

>I have resently been excepted to a few Ph D programs (U of Arizona and
>of Montana) in microbial ecology but am having second thoughts about
>entering.  Outside of academia, what career options would I have.  I am
>interested in the research and would injoy working on my PhD but with
the
>glut of PHDs that I am told exist what kind of job would I find.
>
>Dave

With few exceptions, you are likely to become a "postdoc." This is
a euphemism for temprorary, underpaid, insecure, flunky positions.

If you are very lucky and exceptionally capable you wil be able to
move from  a postdoc to a real job.  But, you are also likely to find
out that you have invested 6-7 years of your life getting the PhD,
2-4 years on a postdoc treadmill, and at the age of 30 something, you
are quite unemployable.

See discussions on the newsgroup sci.research.careers.