Excluding bacteria

Karl Roberts kr1 at PGSTUMAIL.PG.CC.MD.US
Fri Oct 9 07:47:54 EST 1998

David,

In a field setting you are probably asking for the impossible.  I used
soil samples for my work concerning mycorrhizal fungi, but generally if
I wanted to produce and maintain sterile soil, I took samples and
autoclaved them for pot trials.  Even so, I still had to re-introduce
soil microflora in order to meet the needs of my study. Also,
autoclaving releases nutrients into the soil as microbes are killed in
the process, and this may confound results unless controlled or
accounted for in one's design.  If you leave the soil in place at the
study site you can fumigate, but this is a disinfecting process only and
will not exclude microflora for an appreciable period of time.
Introduction of antibiotics will not accomplish your goal either.  I
suggest you perform som preliminary pot trials to examine the effects of
various disinfecting and sterilizing procedures, then carefully account
for sources of variance in your field trials.  You might also attempt to
isolate the various bacterial and fungal species you wish to examine and
narrow your research to just a few of these species.  I wish you luck
and success with your work.
Karl J. Roberts, Ph.D.
PGCC