cell staining

Nicholas Landau nlandau at eden.rutgers.edu
Tue Oct 13 22:02:43 EST 1998

Molecular Probes Inc. of Eugene, Oregon has just the stain for
you.  They make a product called "Live/Dead BacLite" which will
differentiate between cells with intact membranes (presumed live)
and those which have lost membrane integrity (presumed dead.)  One
glows red and the other green when viewed by epiflourescent
microscopy.

NOTE OF CAUTION: much as I like this product, I got a bad batch once.
It was *loaded* with bacteria, and so it messed up my counts.  You
might want to look at the stain before using it, or filter it for
good measure.

Nick Landau
Rutgers University