microbiology-career

Phil jorge2 at earthlink.net
Wed Oct 21 22:34:16 EST 1998

Chris Odt wrote:

> In article <362C085C.1798 at earthlink.net>, jorge2 at earthlink.net wrote:
>
> > Philip Smith wrote:
> > >
> > >  hello, being a 12th grade student who is going to be attending university
> > > next year I was just wondering what I can expect with a B.S degree and
> > > possibly M.S degree in the field of microbiology? Is there a lot of demand
> > > for microbiologists in the job market these days? also, all I hear these
> > > days is how crucial it is to get a Phd degree, is that true?  what would
> > > the average salary of a microbiologist with a M.S be? any help would be
> > > great, thanks a lot
> >
> > Yes, please pursue a Ph.D.  In many industrial settings, the MS in of
> > little value v. BS.
>
> Philip:
> Forget the PhD.  Get a BS and perhaps a MS.  But thats it.
> If you apply yourself, you can get a job where you get your own research
> projects, can publish your results, and even do the travelling to
> conferences thing, if you wish.  It depends more on how you apply
> yourself, than on how many letters you have after your name. I cant tell
> you how many friends I have who have regretted getting PhD's in the hard
> sciences.  Besides, the
> job you get with a PhD takes over your life....no room for family or friends or
> outside interests, if you care about that.  And the $$ is NOT always better.
>
> good luck, Chris

Chris:

I take exception to your statement.  This is certainly not what I've
observed.  If one really wants to excell, one should do so by starting
with education - not trying to catch up in the workplace.  There are too
many PhD's with whom you'll be in competition.  Chris may be right in
that some smaller comapnies may hire lesser degreed candidates as part
of an overall cost savings effort that extends to their support of
research and salaries.
My advice is aim for the top, not the middle.