microbiology-career

Phil jorge2 at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 22 19:13:12 EST 1998

max at gte.net wrote:

> I will have to agree that a PhD is not necessary for a career in
> Microbiology. I would get the BS degree and obtain a Masters while working
> for a good company. Most companies will pay for you to go to school and get
> a Masters and even a PhD (mine does). That would save you money and student
> loans and give you much needed work experience at the same time. I have a
> Master's degree in Microbiology. I worked in a Clinical Lab and was a
> Teaching Assistant while finishing my degree. I then worked in a lab at a
> Beverage Company and 8 years later I am running the laboratory and managing
> the Quality Dept. I make much more than I could have doing bench lab work or
> with a PhD doing research ( and I look at jobs everyday to compare with what
> I am doing. Unless you want to be a College Prof. it would be a waste
> getting a PhD on your own.
> ----------
> In article <362EA7B8.528E at earthlink.net>, Phil <jorge2 at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> >Chris Odt wrote:

> >> Philip:
> >> Forget the PhD.  Get a BS and perhaps a MS.  But thats it.
> >> If you apply yourself, you can get a job where you get your own research
> >> projects, can publish your results, and even do the travelling to
> >> conferences thing, if you wish.  It depends more on how you apply
> >> yourself, than on how many letters you have after your name. I cant tell
> >> you how many friends I have who have regretted getting PhD's in the hard
> >> sciences.  Besides, the
> >> job you get with a PhD takes over your life....no room for family or friends or
> >> outside interests, if you care about that.  And the $$ is NOT always better.
> >>
> >> good luck, Chris
> >
> >Chris:
> >
> >I take exception to your statement.  This is certainly not what I've
> >observed.  If one really wants to excell, one should do so by starting
> >with education - not trying to catch up in the workplace.  There are too
> >many PhD's with whom you'll be in competition.  Chris may be right in
> >that some smaller comapnies may hire lesser degreed candidates as part
> >of an overall cost savings effort that extends to their support of
> >research and salaries.
> >My advice is aim for the top, not the middle.

Again, I'm glad your successful.  However, PhD's are in great demand in
industry and bring appropriate salaries (I hire for a major company - I
know that we do not consdier MS's).  Opportunities are not limited to
academics and the well-paid industry research fellows get the
opportunity to pursue science as well as, if they so chose, the
management of routine work of others.

My point is that you should aspire to be the best at what you do.  If
limited by finances, by all means get your employer to put you through
school (that is by no means simple since they may allow night school and
few PhD programs offer such a curriculum).  Good people (wharever their
training) excell at whatever they undertake.  Some opportunities are not
effectively open to all levels of training.