Spore Test

RSP kenzie71 at pathcom.com
Fri Oct 23 13:49:39 EST 1998

Hi all,

   I am performing preservative challenge testing on various cosmetic
products.  I am running a test to determine if the Aspergillus niger
recovered from failed challenge tests is in the form of vegetative mold
or spores.  I am heating my dilutions up to between 65-70 degrees
Celcius and plating these dilutions and observing for growth.  Is this
temperature high enough to destroy all vegetative forms of the mold and
only allow for the recovery of mold spores.  The A. niger strain being
used is the one called for by USP XXIII under preservative challenge
testing, the ATCC strain number escapes me at this time.

Thanks
Rick