post-doc position/ Ithaca/NY/USA

John Helmann jdh9 at cornell.edu
Thu Oct 29 16:00:29 EST 1998

a POSTDOCTORAL POSITION is available in the Helmann laboratory in the
Section of Microbiology at Cornell University, Ithaca NY. I am interested
in identifying a recent PhD interested in the role of alternative sigma
factors in bacterial gene expression. Our current efforts are directed at
uncovering the physiological role and identifying target genes for several
recently identified sigma factors [members of the ExtraCytoplasmic
Function (ECF) family] in Bacillus subtilis. We have made substantial
progress on two of these sigma factors, SigX and SigW, and have identified
numerous target operons. I am looking for someone interested in continuing
this work. The candidate will be involved in some or all of the following:
defining the extent of the ECF sigma regulons, the roles of the target
genes, and the signals leading to activation of each regulon. Other
possible projects involve the characterization of metal-dependent
repressor proteins in B. subtilis (see publications for more details).

 Ithaca is located in the scenic finger-lakes region of upstate NY and has
a comparatively low cost of living and excellent quality of life.

 for recent publications from the Helmann lab, see:
http://www.bio.cornell.edu/microbio/helmann/helmann.html

 Interested candidates should direct a CV, contact information for (up to)
 three references, and a one-paragraph statement of research interests and
 career goals to:

 jdh9 at cornell.edu