Fwd: ID for micro-organims

Yersinia yersinia at CYBERNEX.NET
Tue Dec 7 14:34:46 EST 1999

Dic writes,

<I want know what is the preferred way for identify micro-organisms in
pharmaceutical laboratory.  Do you use MIDI, VITEK, API or biochemical
tests (catalase, oxydase,TSI) are suitable?>

My experience is with Vitek and API, in conjunction with some biochemical
testing. For instance, on all gram pos cocci I'd do a catalase test, and
on catalase positives, a staphaurex or staphyloslide (then confirmation
of staphaurex positives with a tube coagulase test). All gram neg rods
I'd do oxidase tests on, too.

No ID system is perfect, so there are occasions when it is necessary to
run supplemental tests, usually biochemical or antibiotic (some organisms
are differentiated by resistance to a particular antibiotic). Two
examples of this would be Flavobacterium oryzihabitans vs. Chryseomonas
luteola, which are differentiated by reactions to ONPG and esculin
hydrolysis, and Staph. hominis vs. Staph. saprophyticus - S. hominis is
novobiocin susceptible. But by no means are those the only examples.

I can't speak to the other ID systems, but both Vitek and API come with
manuals which suggest additional biochemical tests in the event of an
unclear ID (and API has a very nice telephone database as well).

Infectionately,
Yersinia.