Changes in cell-shape depending on the groth-phase?

John Kemp kemp at myriad.net
Fri Feb 19 00:35:06 EST 1999

Karsten,

I was working with a lactobacillus bug that I was culturing out of the
proventriculus (a.k.a. the stomach) of parakeets.  I was conducting
morphometric analysis on them and noticed that they did in fact have a very
dynamic morphology.  They were a whopping 2 micrometers in vivo, and
subsuquently shrank to <1 micrometer.  I found that they progressively
decreased in both length and diameter (using electron micrographs). And no,
the changes were not uniform, so it was a situation VERY similar  to yours.
If you have any known constitutive biochemical characteristics that you
obtained with "pure" cultures, see if  your "questionable pure" cultures
yield similair or different results.
Also, electron microscopy  might show you distinct structural differences in
the two (or more) different bugs.  Well, these are just some simple ways to
determine if you have a contaminated culture.  You also mentioned
"un-expected growth".  If the colonies became macroscopic earlier than
usual...such is evidence of contamination.  I don't know if this helped
any.... but good luck.  I understand your frustration as I have been there
before.  Another alternative, which worked for me, is to pick another family
of bacteria to study..........  Just my .02 $

Michael Hofle