viable counts of soil bacteria?

Larry D. Boyd larboyd at sprynet.com
Fri Feb 26 16:28:59 EST 1999

Why not a variation on the old standard plate count modifying the media to
select what ever group of bugs you want to grow out.  You could use a method
based on either water/wastewater or dairy products. (See the Standard
methods books for those exams), you might start out with a weighed soil
sample and use a water or dairy dilution bottle and then a simple pour plate
and count 'em.

Check out a soil micro book there may be standard tests for soil microbial
density, I never took soil micro so am not certain.  In any event it should
be simple to do a simple dilution pour plate method to estimate microbial
density.

Regards,
Larry D. Boyd, CLS