Differentiation Help

A.J.Cann nna at le.ac.uk
Tue Mar 2 07:19:13 EST 1999

In article <7be4u1$nh at sjx-ixn6.ix.netcom.com>, "Mike"
<maj at unforgettable.com.nospam> wrote:

>I'm a university student in a microbio intro course and we're working with
>unknowns.  Many in the class, including myself, are having a difficult time
>differentiating between rods and cocci on student-prepared Gram stain slides
>at 1000X oil-immersion magnification.  Often they look like rods but also
>dividing cocci.  The little "bugs" are just so small.
>Any tips for the beginner?

You can practice on:
"Pink bugs, purple bugs" - perform the Gram stain procedure and identify
some bacteria from the LabWork rogues gallery:

http://www-micro.msb.le.ac.uk/LabWork/LabWork.htm

--
Dr Alan J. Cann  PhD,   Department of Microbiology & Immunology,
University of Leicester,  P.O. Box 138,  Medical Sciences Building,