micro diversity & environmental fluctuations

neufeld1450 at my-dejanews.com neufeld1450 at my-dejanews.com
Tue Mar 2 12:22:30 EST 1999

In article <7bgsj8$qdp$1 at nnrp1.dejanews.com>,
  ERIC at COASTAL.EDU wrote:
> Dear colleauges, if anyone out there could help, I'm interested in
> getting a hold of any work that has been done dealing with the
> influence of environmental fluctuation on microbial diversity.  I am
> involved in estuarine research, and the sites within the estuary are
> characterized by a strong gradient not only in mean concentration
> (or value) of nutrients, DOM, salinity, etc... but also a strong
> gradient in the diel & tidal variability (what I'm calling pulse) of
> these factors.  I would be interested in ANY work that has examined
> this type of environmental variability on microbial (bacterial & phyto
> plankton) diversity - this could be field, lab or theoretical work. I have
> searched oceanic abstracts for 1981 - present and there is very little
> available there.  I appreciate any response concerning this request.
> Thanks in advance for your consideration.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Eric Koepfler
> Associate Professor
> Marine Science Department
> Coastal Carolina University
> Conway, SC 29526
> ERIC at COASTAL.EDU

Eric, If you would like a molecular approach to microbial diversity resulting
from environmental factors (such as temperature fluctuations), try looking at
the work of David Ward and his coworkers on hot spring cyanobacterial mat
communities.  A nice review was published recently: Ward, D. M. et al. 1998.
A Natural View of Microbial Biodiversity within Hot Spring Cyanobacterial Mat
Communities. Microbiol. Mol. Biol. Rev. 62:1353-1370.

Josh Neufeld.