Question on a MacFarland Standards

Judy and Bob Dilworth dilworth at megsinet.net
Wed Mar 3 15:04:20 EST 1999

Just off the top of my head, I would say because the bacteria would multiply
and grow, getting more dense, and change your McFarland.  We buy commercially
prepared McFarland standards in cuvettes to calibrate our
mini-spectrophotometer that we use to standardize the inoculum for our Vitek
on a daily basis (an antomated instrument for susceptibility and
identification testing).  You need a standard that's not going to change.  The
commercially available standards are in tubes that fit into the spec. and are
good for one year.

Judy Dilworth, M.T. (ASCP)
Microbiology since 1974