Microscope Design Concept which eliminates the need for staining cell tissues.

Rog rlm at ricochet.net
Wed Mar 3 17:17:40 EST 1999

Dr. Royal Rife developed a microscope in the 30's that was said to use
a pair of contra-rotating quartz prisms that could produce a
monochromatic beam for illumination of the specimen.  He found that
microorganisms would emit or fluoresce specific colors that would
allow their identification.  He is said to have developed an optical
microscope using this idea that could view living specimens at powers
far exceeding the considered theoretical limits possible for optical
microscopes.  The advent of electron microscopy satisfied the need for
very high magnifications, but the process of preparing and bombarding
the specimens precludes the study of living specimens.

Two of his five highly complex "virus" microscopes remain in existence
today, but unfortunately are missing critical parts.  It's a sad
testimony to how a significant discovery can become buried in time.