Question on a MacFarland Standards

rico coolen ricoco at worldonline.nl
Wed Mar 3 02:42:07 EST 1999

Hallo group,

It's been a long time since I have been working with the MacFarland standard
but in answer on the question:

One of the properties of a standard is that it should be stable for a long
time. This meens that there must be no question about in- or decreasement of
the standard.
As BaCl2 is a very stable compount that is nat attact bij bacteria or others
and wil not change for a long period of time, it surely is the mest
standard.
If one wants to use mo for such a standard the problem comes with the
stability.
    If the suspension is sterilised, the properties of the mo will change
due to the letal process.
    If the suspention is not sterilised the properties will change because
of the growth of the mo.
A possible alternative could be a suspension of B. cereus spores. Thes are
quit stable but also in this case you should ask yourself how the standard
wil look like after 5 years.
With BaCl2 there is no question. A bactieria suspension according to the
macfarland-scale 2 is after 5 years the same als the first.

With any standard one should ask himself how can I relate it to a higher
standard just like the metric metre in Paris.

Greetings

Rico Coolen
Quality assurance in Food
Van Rossem & Partners
Netherlands

"William J. Mason" heeft geschreven in bericht ...